LGBTQ+ Seniors need OUR help this holiday season
Give back and help the Chamber Foundation support our most vulnerable LGBTQ seniors by participating in the Chamber's Holiday Food Drive.
Support the Chamber Holiday Food Drive!
Help us fill up Holiday Boxes for our most vulnerable seniors by either dropping off food or making a donation via the virtual food drive. Two Ways to Participate!
1) Drive-Thru and Drop-Off food.
When: Friday, December 4, 2020 / 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Drive-Thru Drop-Off Location: SignatureCare ER Montrose, 1007 Westheimer
Everyone donating food items will receive a swag bag (while supplies last) sponsored by SignatureCare ER. Check out the list of specific food donation items requested to support our LGBTQ+ Seniors below. Be safe and Mask up! All donors in the vehicle must be wearing a mask. No need to get out of your vehicle.
2) Donate to the Virtual Holiday Food Drive
Can't drop off food? Make a virtual food drive donation. Donations will support the purchase of food for the holiday boxes, food pantry and Montrose Center programs to support LGBTQ+ clients in need.
Supporting the Montrose Center
Holidays are usually a time when people gather around a festive meal to celebrate and give thanks with family and friends. But for many of our LGBTQ+ community members, this time of year can be difficult. Those experiencing food insecurity, face the difficult task of providing a holiday meal for their family while still making sure they have enough groceries for the week. Others prefer to celebrate with their chosen family, rather than face the intolerance of their birth relatives.
And of course, the ongoing pandemic has only added to these struggles. Before this pandemic, 1 out of 5 LGBTQ+ people lived in food poverty. Now this vulnerable demographic continues to face unique hardships, like unemployment, isolation, access to culturally competent physical and mental healthcare, and increasing food insecurity.
In addition to the year-round provision of food and other essential services to clients in crisis, our the Montrose Center's case managers have teamed up over the years to ensure that none of our clients are forgotten during the holidays. The Chamber is continuing this same tradition this year to host a Holiday Food Drive to supply essential items for the Montrose Center's annual Holiday Meals distribution.
These food boxes will fill a crucial gap for our LGBTQ+ clients and will be distributed to chronically unemployed individuals, seniors, disabled individuals surviving on fixed incomes, those residing in transitional housing after fleeing from abusive partners, and folks who are starting over after recovering from addictions. Helping clients put food on their table is one of the single most effective ways to improve their quality of life under such circumstances.
Requested Donation Items:
★ Ready to Eat Microwaveable Individual Cups Kraft Mac & Cheese (12 pack)
★ Peanut Butter and Crackers
★ Snack Size Pretzels, Crackers, Cheeze-Its
★ Single Serving Pop-open Vienna Sausages (4.6 oz cans)
★ Single Serving Chunk Light Tuna in Water (5oz cans)
★ Ready to Eat Individually Packaged Chunk Light Tuna in Water (pouches)
★ Individual Pudding Cups (Chocolate and Vanilla)
★ Individual Cup Diced Peaches (Del Monte, typically come in a box of 16)
● Cans of Cut Green Beans (14.5 oz, Del Monte/name brand preferred)
● Cans of Whole Kernel Corn (15 oz, Del Monte/name brand preferred)
● Cans of Pinto Beans (15 oz, name brand preferred)
● Cans of Black Beans (15 oz, name brand preferred)
● Canned Vegetables
● Cans/Box/Carton or Cups of Soup
● Betty Crocker Homestyle Stuffing, Turkey
● Canned Ham
● Canned Chicken Chunk Breast
● Campbell's Chunky Chili with Beans (15.25 oz. microwavable bowls)
● Chef Boyardee Spaghetti & Meatballs (14.5 oz cans)
● Chef Boyardee Chicken Marinara (15 oz cans)
● Whole Grain Saltine Crackers
● Peanut Butter (18 oz jar)
● Strawberry Preserves (18 oz jar)
● Fruit Cups (individually packed)
● Kellogg Nutri Grain Bars (Blueberry, Apple Cinnamon, Strawberry)
● Individual Packs Quaker Instant Oatmeal (Flavor Variety, typically 52 packs)
● Dried Pinto Beans (16 oz bags)
● Dried Spaghetti (16 oz bags)
● Medium Shell Noodles (16 oz bags)
● Long Grain White Rice (16 oz bags)
● Del Monte Traditional Pasta Sauce (24 oz cans)
● Apple Sauce (individual cups)
● Packs of Orange Juice (individual bottles)
● Cases of Bottled Water (individual bottles)
★ Items with the star are the most popular and the hardest to keep in the pantry
Please no expired food or perishables.
Other Items Needed:
● Face Masks
● Hand Sanitizer
● Paper Towels
● Washing Detergent
● Clorox Disinfecting Wipes
● Clorox Commercial Solutions
● Clorox Disinfecting Spray
● Clorox Multi-Surface Cleaner + Bleach
● Lysol Clean & Fresh Multi-Surface Cleaner
● Lysol Disinfectant Max Cover Mist
● Lysol Heavy-Duty Cleaner Disinfectant Concentrate
Virtual Food Drive
Can't drop off food? Make a virtual food drive donation. Individual donations are accepted. Donations will help support purchases of food for the holiday boxes, food pantry and Montrose Center programs to support LGBTQ+ clients in need. Any amount is appreciated!