HOUSTON LGBT CHAMBER CELEBRATES FIRST YEAR
More than 50 members have joined organization
HOUSTON (March 6, 2017) – The Greater Houston LGBT Chamber of Commerce is celebrating its first anniversary and marking significant achievements in its first full year.
The Chamber officially launched on February 24, 2016 and has since grown to include more than 50 members. Chamber Co-Founders Tammi Wallace and Gary Wood said they were pleased with the organization’s accomplishments over the last year, which include:
- Launch of branding and marketing elements including logo, website, social media channels and marketing materials.
- Creation of a formal Steering Committee.
- Creation of five committees focusing on everything from membership to development.
- Membership growth to more than 50 members, including four founding members and three corporate partners.
- Hosting of 20 events and programs including monthly happy hours and a collaboration on the Grow Your Business Summit.
- Establishment of a strategic alliance with the Small Business Administration, Houston District Office.
- Completion of more than 25 site visits to help businesses become certified as LGBT Business Enterprises (LGBTBE®).
- Growing the number of LGBTBE® certified businesses in Houston to nearly 30.
- Partnering with the Super Bowl Host Committee as part of the NFL's Business Connect program, which resulted in six Chamber member companies securing contracts with the Super Bowl.
“We could not have asked for a better first year, but it’s only the beginning,” Wallace said. “We have ambitious plans to grow this organization and expand on our mission to create economic opportunity for LGBT-owned businesses in the region.” Part of the opportunity ahead includes educating businesses about the LGBTBE® certification and continuing to grow the number of certified businesses in the region. Wood said, “Our tremendous growth in our launch year has resulted in close to half of all LGBTBE® certified businesses in Texas that are located in the Greater Houston region,” Wood said. “We are excited to support even more LGBT business owners as they seek the LGBTBE® certification.”